Saturday, February 8, 2014

Blogs in the foreign language classroom

I think that once I am able to really figure out how a blog works, I can definitely see how it would be effective and useful in a foreign language classroom. For one, I could create a blog for any homework assignments and a short description of what needs to be done. It would be a great way for my students to create a forum too, if any student has problems with an assignment. They can receive help without having to be in the classroom. I also like the idea of self reflection, whether that be the teacher reflecting, or even the students reflecting on their own language learning and their own understanding of certain concepts throughout the school year.

A second way I could use blogs is for any type of writing portfolio. I could give the students a prompt in which they would have to respond on their blog for homework (in Spanish of course!) This will allow them to keep track of all writing assignments they have done in their portfolio and see any progression they've had since the beginning. It would also be helpful because I would be able to post resources online for them to use that I recommend, not something that would give the students wrong information. The fact too, that I would be able to comment on their blog post would give them timely feedback and any suggestions.

ACTFL standards link

Two standards that I could meet using blogs:
Standard 1.1: Students engage in conversations, provide and obtain information, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions
Standard 1.3: Students present information, concepts, and ideas to an audience of listeners or readers on a variety of topics.
(through blogging)

2 comments:

  1. You have pointed out some very good ways to utilize blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I really like your idea for the online portfolio. By keeping a running blog, students are way more likely to go back and look at their earlier work and see all the progress they've made - very motivating!

    ReplyDelete